Hello again! As time passes this little machine receives the linux love and finally it got some nice improvements (so nice that I didn't have to boot Windows in the last few days). It's scary to say, but still 2 full operative systems on a 32GB drive!
Speaker and headphone audio is now a thing! After a bit of DSDT fixing and replacing some HID to get properly loaded previous generation drivers (CherryTrail RT5645) and replacing intel firmware with a modified version (ssp0). Sound is crystal clear, but jack detection is somehow inverted. As a plus, volume function keys work out of the box.
Tried the 4.9.0-RC2 kernel, but graphic glitches stopped me from further testing. Then applied the baytrail-linux kernel patches from Arch's AUR to the 4.8.5 kernel and now frequent system hangs went away (finally!).
Some other fixes:
- eMMC storage i/o scheduler is set to cfq by default, switched to deadline
- clocksource=tsc grub.cfg bootarg is a must even in the patched kernel
- Some weeks ago I randomly got a cpu core locked at 100% that I triaged to be the WiFi r8723bs kernel module. By switching power on the WiFi interafce from auto to on those events have not appeared again.
- Added a 1500MB ZRAM swap, it's incredible it works so well
- With latest kernel brightness control goes from fully dimmed to full bright (and yes, function keys work out of the box)
- Maybe some other things I currently don't remember
What still does not work:
- Sleep: in the meantime I'm planning to stop systemd close-lid actions and just switch screen off and lock screen
- Touchpad: still no gestures no multitouch
I'm using XFCE/Compiz with HiDPI settings and I'm surprised it required 0 manual configuration